Saturday, January 16, 2016

Quilt Top Gone Wrong!

I suppose I should rename this new blog "Quilts Made from Scraps." Because by the time I ripped apart and recut my mother's forgotten quilt top from the late 1960's/early 1970's, I had more scraps than "scratch."

Here is the quilt top Mom and I found in a sewing basket in the summer of 2015. Mom did not ever remember putting this "interesting" quilt top together, but some of the fabrics were definitely leftover scraps from some of my late 1960's college dresses and hotpants ( teehee, imagine that!). 

Besides the color combinations being hideous, nothing was squared up or even cut straight. Maybe that was before Mom bought a rotary cutter and cutting pad.  And no corners were matched up!  Even the joining of different fabric weights and content was off. 

As the 9 patch squares were not all 12" squares, the connecting light blue ( probably bedsheet) squares did not fit. And to top it all off, the squares had been just haphazardly sewn together with various seam widths. Guess Mom had not heard at that time that most quilters use 1/4 inch seams. 

So I did to Mom's quilt top what she did to almost all of her mother's quilts! Ripped it apart to begin from scratch. Or at least "almost scratch."

First, I spent a few hours picking out the seams attaching the light blue connecting squares.

Next, I squared up most of the almost 12" squares. I skipped the pressing, and that may cause my version to be somewhat wonky. But who will notice besides me? The whole thing is already wonky!

Then I divided each square into 4 equal 6" squares. ( Note the pinked edges from my rotary cutter.)

Next, I began moving around the pieces to get a better motif. 

Not this one.

Looks a bit better. 

Maybe if I flip flopped the pieces it would be a better match? 

Now let's look at another patch.
I actually like this 9 patch square as it is.

But I guess this is the motif I like the best for the quilt top.

But this with a border is not too bad either.

And another one:
Gosh, why did she join these designs and colors?





There are 31 of these 9 patch squares, so I have lots more to look at.

Last one for today:

Should go back and swap a couple of pieces before doing the rest.

Still like this 4 blade windmill the best.



Lots of decisions for this forgotten work of art.


  1. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

  2. Lots of fun and interesting fabrics in that one. I like your approach to the 9 patches. It's going to be a great memory when you get it all finished.

  3. You are having fun. :-) Wishing you the best.

  4. I love your idea of cutting up the blocks and reassembling them. It's amazing how those ugly fabrics become beautiful with that simple trick. I'm going to have to remember that one!

  5. What a splendid way to rescue your inherited blocks!

  6. Looks like you're having fun! Lots of great fabric in those old blocks.


I welcome your comments.